The exchange rate can vary but is usually around 60 Dalasi to a pound sterling. You will see from the figures below that just one pound of UK money will go a long way to help improve the health of those living in The Gambia:
- 50p (Dal 30) buys 10 paracetemol tablets
- £1.00 (Dal 60) buys a bottle of Coartem syrup – essential for the treatment of Malaria
- £1.50 (Dal 90) buys 30 malaria tablets which can save a child.
The video below details the range of medication that is used in health centres across The Gambia.
- £100.00 (Dal 6,000) is a month’s salary of a State Registered Nurse
Many thanks to St John The Baptist Church, ILFORD who supplied the equivalent of the annual salary of one SRN for three and a half years.
- £5 would pay for an extra nurse at a health centre in the busy season for one day.
- £16.50 (Dal 1000) pays for a cataract op
- £26.50 (Dal1600) covers the cost of medication per cataract op
- £380 (Dal 25k) covers the cost of a WEEKEND opthalmic field trip